Saturday, January 12, 2008

To eat or not to eat; do not starve your vital organs; YUCKS!!!

I have been 'fat' most of my life. But since I am having several health issues that would more than likely be solved if I would lose a hundred pounds, I had a talk with myself ... and said ... do it ... one day at a time.
#1: the NutriSystem offer I got in the mail was touted as 'less than $10 a day'. Ohe, my lands; HL and I together do not eat half that much in a month.
#2: I got a 'challenge' from Slim Fast in an email. Too much sugar, I find.
#3: We bought a new frost free freezer ... and you would not believe all the veggies that I found under that ice in the old one. I can eat on that for months without even going to the store. :-)
Soooooooooo, here it is ... January 12 ... and I am still trying to 'figger' out ... just what I will do with myself at meal time. Let's have a banana split and think about it. Well, yeah; a half of a banana, strawberry ice cream (low fat), butter pecan ice cream (low fat with no added sugar) ... a dab of chocolate shell ... and to top it off ... light and sugar cream whipped topping. There goes my Sunday dessert.
I should have remembered that my motto for a long time was ... 'if I crave something, wait a day, and most of the time, that craving will go away'. Oooooooops!
I was told by a dr in Tennessee once ... a long time ago ... do not diet on the weekend, because your bodies metabolism will shut down because it thinks it is winter time ... and hibernate like an old Grizzly bear. ;-) That is why when you first start a weight lost program, you lose a lot and then hit a 'plateau'. But I only cheat (more food, with Diabetes exchanges in mind) on Sunday at noon ... and on grocery buying day ... so it is spread apart. Some folks cannot stop eating wrong if they start. A lady I know does not eat all day, (dr's orders) because once she starts, she keeps on keeping on until bedtime. I think she needs some willpower training. That is sad. Leslie, an e-pal extraordinare of mine ... talked about not being able to eat lettuce, so salads were just not 'salad'. Sissy and I cannot eat iceberg lettuce; and do you know, some restaurants charge extra for Romaine or Spinach. %--p And there are always other greens. I love raw mustard greens, turnip greens, radish greens; etc. And when I had a tooth ache one day, I remember that a sis-in-law used to grind her radish in a salad blender. I even do that with cucumbers with the skin on; all that fiber is good for you. And I cook apple and oranges with the skin on.
Leslie mentioned in her blog that she is a 'sloth' when it comes to food.
Just to make sure I knew what 'sloth' was ... I looked it up. Yep, Leslie is not a sloth; no way. Geeeezh, she drives 2 hours one way to get to work and back. Sooooooo she is not a sloth ... and sometimes that drive is harder than the work she does ... especially in severe weather. Definition ... disinclination to work (she is NOT that) ... or exert oneself (NOT) or ... lazy (definitely NOT); >>>AND<<< NOT ... a slow-moving, tree-dwelling South American mammal who hangs upside down from a tree branch. *giggle* NOT!!!
So ... now a question ... if we are full of sloth about food ... must we add gluttony to our list of things to confess? I think not; because if you are lazy about eating, then you probably tend to eat less, just foods with higher calories, if handy.
Is that what you meant, ma cherie?
HL sometimes does not know what he wants to eat for lunch until breakfast is over for an hour or two. I like to plan my meals WAY ahead of time; like when I am making a grocery list. And if the ingredients are frozen, I sometime take them out of the freezer and defrost them over night in the fridge.
I tend to under eat most days ... (and there is a weight loss support company in LA (CA) THAT TOLD MY COUSIN ... that is worst than overeating) ... because ... not only do you not lose, you do not get your needs met ... so fasting for long periods ... will cause your body to eat itself; and it eats muscle as well as fat). >>>I actually had a silent heart attack ... while living on a 500 calories or less ... per day ... for 8 months. Ohe, I lost weight ... but ... was so malnourished that I landed in the hospital for several days. Since I was dehydrated, they gave me IV drip, and put me back on my feet. Then I got pregnant and gained back that weight and more. And me, at 39 and counting, should have known better. %--p
MJ is working on the Cajun Country Card website ... and I hope to have it up and running soon. But so I can post this on my ... aol ... blog, I will close for now, and hope to report a good weight loss and a smooth system to my eating ... on that site.
Je t'aime and DIEU TE BENISSE! GOD BLESS! Macile

12 comments:

Esther said...

I struggle with the why's, how's and wherefore's of eating healthy, too. May God be with you and give you wisdom. Love to you in your journey, Esther :)

Leslie K. said...

You are so cute.

Actually, I am disinclined to really work towards correcting my bad eating habits. I have to admit it so I can fix it. BUT guess what - I have been doing that NutriSystem for one full week and I have lost 5 pounds. Now, considering how much I have to lose that ain't much, but the best part is I am feeling better about me.
I started this journey long ago using the techniques put on paper by Dr Phil. I know I am an emotional eater. Trying to find better ways to deal with my emotions is all a part of my recovery for alcoholism. SO, this is the next logical step and I am slothful - because I would rather just have my wish granted, go to sleep and wake up a size 8.
You are SO LOVED!!!!

chimakuni said...

Ah yes - just had that piece of toast and peanut butter...also a swig of beer! That was my breakfast.

Why the swig of beer? Well, I am making Pub Chicken now and I had to put beer in the pan and since there was a little left over . . .

There is still another swig in the bottle and it will stay there or be tossed later on, or put in the pan - or, or, or...

My approach to controlling my weight is to TAKE control! I plan out my food intake for the day, write down everything that goes past my lips and down my throat.

At the end of the day, when I look at what I have consumed - (I use the Weight Watcher's points system), I am satisfied that I have control over my food and not the other way around.

Tonight we will be out for dinner...I am of the mind to eat before starting out, but the gig is two hours away - and as everyone knows, potlucks are the BEST and how will I resist?

HELP!!!

Of course, the control issue is not always on patrol - I gained six pounds while pretending that I could eat anything I wanted to. Alas, my clothes no longer fit...and I will NOT buy new clothes.

So, Leslie - congrats on your weight loss - that is impressive and to all of us here - Cheers on being loosers!!!

Anonymous said...

Merci to all of you for your comments. I decided during the night to keep track of my progress here ... kinda like ... reporting to the world. May keep me honest; and if you want to you can just skip the comments from me. I hope to do that at least once a week because I weigh each Saturday.
On Dec. 23, I weighed 257 (way up over my 238 just after my hysterectomy in April 2005. It creeps up, even if you try to keep an eye on it.
This morning (I forgot yesterday) I weighed 252. ;-)
And for lunch, I bought me a Sonic double cheese burger on TX toast ... and ate half of it; but finished the weiner from HL's footlong hot dog; he has no taste sensation anymore, but tries to eat enough to get nutrition.
Sooooo, we all have our trials.

Anonymous said...

VA-VA-VOOM!!! Macile - your photo is beautiful! I am not surprised because your beauty comes from inside and it is of Christ...and He makes beauty easy!!!

Thanks for posting it - it is a treat to see the young you and the couple of years down the line you!

Beautiful at any age!!!

love you

Anonymous said...

I am also trying to eat healthy and lose weight. I try to eat when I am hungry and stop when I am full. I realize that food is not my enemy but my friend. I am coming to terms with food. It is nourishment and not the enemy. And at the same time we must eat responsibly and unto the Lord. Our bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit. But sometimes we must not strive so much, but instead need to yield gently to the Holy Spirit. That way we won't need to strive to control the way we eat so much, but allow Him to be in control. This is what I do. I have lost 30 lbs. this way. Now do you have a copy of that Cajun cookbook? It sounds so yummy!

Krissy :)

Anonymous said...

Well, surprise ... surprise. No weight loss this week; but no gain. The no gain ... is the surprise to me.
We run the roads (but driving the RAV4 is no exercise) so much ... and had to eat out (two of the best Cajun restaurants we know was on the Tuesday and Friday route). I was careful; ate green beans with the fried catfish and pistolette (stuffed biscuit with crawfish etouffee in it).
So back to the drawing board. I do better if I stay home. And with having to deliver the RAV to the shop ... on Tuesday and then picking it up on Wednesday ... and getting some Lake Charles chores done, I am going to have to keep my mind on the job better.
Bye the way, for those who read me and not Leslie, she lost some more and I think she said 10 pounds so far. Congrats, ma cherie.
Like Adam says 'see you later'.
And merci for keeping up with me.
DIEU TE BENISSE!! Cajun Sissy

Anonymous said...

OK; another week of no loss; and since it is toooooo early to be hitting a plateau ... I just ate more calories than I burned. Well, not really; because I stayed the same. But when I ordered a child's portion of smothered pork steak and sides, I thought (and guess I did) that was the smart thing to do. Now, back to square one. Need to plan better before hand, as a couple of days this week, I ate what I cooked for HL.
The shrimp and crab gumbo was good, and I ate in a small bowl.
Gonna dig some of those veggies out of the freezer and eat mostly non-starch and grains. Here we go again. Also gonna keep better track. Hope ya'll are doing better than me; I know Leslie is. DIEU TE BENISSE!!! Macile

Anonymous said...

I have been using Lipton's diet in a bottle instead of carbonated drinks, which makes you retain fluid. Well, this morning ... it tasted different. YEP; green tea with wild berry flavor; hmmmmm, is good though. And then this afternoon, a bellyache from hell. I never know how my food will effect me; but this is just plain ridiculous. Sooooo, that is why Oprah lost 20 pounds from drinking green tea. %--{ Geeeeeezh; a body could have warned me or something. Hope ya'll are having a good day. Our severe weather passed on ... and the sun is out ... and it is so warm, HL is washing the house. Yeah, right; just after a Louisiana deluge. Well, he puts Purex in the spray can; sprays a space; then rinses it with clear water. Guess the rain run out of bleach. ;*-)
DIEU TE BENISSE!!!

Anonymous said...

Snuck up on the scale this morning; YEP, I know it is not Saturday, but HL still wants to go to the Cajun buffet tonight. It starts at 5pm ... no crawfish before then. Most restaurants around here follow that schedule.
Sooooooo I have decided to eat off the menu. When you buy the buffet, no matter what is on your plate when you get full, you cannot bring it home. (I do understand ... some folks would pile the food up and then say 'I am full'. But if I do not eat everything on a seafood platter, I can bring it home for tomorrow. Soooooo ate a light lunch; crackers and milk with one egg ... because I still have the queezy stomach ... and vertigo; and then I can eat a little and bring the rest home. >>>OHE, YEAH; LOST 2 POUNDS THIS WEEK. YIIPPEEEE!!
DIEU TE BENISSE! Cajun Sissy

Christine said...

Glad you lost those pounds Macile. Keep on going. I know you will out wit the scales even more.

Anonymous said...

Someone sent me a PPS about GOD and the devil ... and 'healthy vs unhealthy' food and habits. If you wish to see it ... send me an email ... because it has to be sent by attachment. Really cute .. AND ... Really fits us ... as lately ... we try to become the person that GOD meant us to be; and 'old red legs' was busy in our house, yesterday. >>>DID I SAY ... HL fried those crabs, and although I only ate 3 ... that was lunch.<<< Then Sissy brought me fried catfish and boudin. I only ate half of the fillet of fish, ON BREAD WITH MAYO; AND SOOOOOOOO ... the devil smiled. And I gained 3 pounds. Yikkkkeeees!! And I bet that the 2 (4 oz) glasses of real coke did more than raise my blood sugar.
My FBS yesterday was 102. Well, is that not what I am aiming for??? But I felt so weak in the legs ... drank the coke, because we were out of OJ.
FBS today ... 132; which 'ain't bad, sistah' but ... back to the drawing board. Well, back to the drawing (food schedule) that has been working correctly for over 3 weeks. And ... WRITING IT DOWN.
May our Sweet Jesus and His Blessed Mother keep their arms around all of us!!! DIEU TE BENISSE!!! GOD BLESS!!! Macile